Thursday, 12 November 2015

A Wild Book Review Appears - Half Wild by Sally Green


A wild book review appears!

(Finally.)

I read this back in May, but I'm short on reading time at the moment.

(Also, this book totally suites the title you wanted to give your first book review.)
  
That too.

Half Wild is the second of Sally Green's Half Bad Trilogy and, whilst it didn't quite live up to the sheer awesomeness of its predecessor, I still gave it a solid four star rating. 

Every trilogy has a book where the plot slows down and the characters take centre stage. For the Half Bad trilogy, this is that book.

Nathan's still one of my all time favourite narrators. He's sarcastic, constantly angry and...trying to remain positive? Can we give the boy a medal, please. At the beginning of the novel, he's confused, worried and alone, and yet he's ploughing on. Thinking positive. Yes, he wavers reguarly but, even to try, he must be an eternal optimist.

Gabriel's existence made up for the distinct lack of Arran (what? I'm a sucker for supporting/minor characters, okay?). He's funny. Loyal. And he likes books. What's not to like? It took me until halfway through this book to finally start calling him Gab-ri-elle rather than Gay-bri-ul. 
It'll probably take me until the end of Half Lost to remember to do it consistantly.

On the subject of Annalise, I have a shock confession to make. I don't hate her.

(I think you'd better give them a minute or two to digest that.)

I know that the rest of the internet does, but I just can't. She's trapped in the middle of a war, and she's not built for conflict. Yes, she makes some bad decisions, but they're understandable in context. 
She might not be a saint, but neither's Nathan.

Despite the fact that I like Annalise, I don't like her with Nathan. Actually, I don't like the romance in this one, period. I think the problem stems from Nathan's confusion - he doesn't know how he feels or where he's at and so he comes across as playing both sides of the love triangle. Here's hoping there'll be less of that in the last book. 
All we need is for the love triangle to be resolved. I'm pretty sure we all want the same thing on that front. ;)

The last one hundred pages were all action, and then BANG! It hit us with the cliffhanger. I wish I had a time machine. I wouldn't use it for anything crazy. Just to flash into the future, grab a copy of Half Lost, and flash back again. When it comes to torturous cliffhangers, Sally Green is right up there with Rick Riordan and Maggie Stiefvater. And I don't say that lightly.

Have you read Half Wild? How desperate are you for Half Lost?
 Please leave your thoughts, theories, moans and groans in the comments.