Monday, 25 January 2016

Beautiful People: Dreams vs Reality

http://paperfury.com/beautiful-people-14/
Today we're linking up with Beautiful People at Paper Fury and Further Up and Further In.

 What were your writing achievements last year?

I wrote 60,000 words for Camp NaNo in July -

(Which was only half a draft.)

- And I improved and plotted out a fantasy series I first came up with when I was eleven.

(Which you've just dropped because you HATED writing it for some unfathomable reason.)

 Why do you always have to be so negative?

(You also had an epic writing crash at the end of July which lasted for the rest of the year. Nothing was right. Nothing was good enough. You sucked. Your life was over...)

 *Leaves*

Two hours later.

*Returns*

(It's too well-planned, it's not malleable enough -)

HOW ARE YOU NOT DONE YET?!


Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year? List 5 areas you’d like to work the hardest to improve this year.

At the moment, I'm working on a high fantasy that combines a few plots, scenarios and characters from previous high fantasy ideas. There's magic, a fantasy pantheon, and a prophecy. It...doesn't really have a title yet...

  1. Finishing stories. I haven't had a problem with this for a couple of years but, for the last through months, I've been dipping in and out of things, trying to find something I enjoy.
  2. My magic system. I mean, I've got one that works and is deeply ingrained in the world, yada yada yada, but that's from an urban fantasy. I need a different one for my high fantasy world.
  3. Write what and how I want. Everything is original if you do it your way.
  4. Know when to give up. My writing crash was mainly caused by how hung up I was on the first story I ever finished. A story that will never work because of the way I structured it. 
  5. Return to writing every night. I've gotten so bad at this since I came to uni.

Are you participating in any writing challenges?

NaNoWriMo 2016, and the two camps, of course. It's tradition now.

(Two years ago, you'd never done either.)

 Emphasis on now.

What’s your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?

https://giphy.com/gifs/celebrity-wish-noah-PQuKXWTPZWZYA
Source
 Critique partner? Betas? Yeah... I should probably try and find some of those.

Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research.

I have a copy of The Kick-Ass Writer that I open whenever I need a kick up the bum. Other than that, no.

Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?

I need to get to know ALL of the characters from my new project a little better. I know one of them very well, because I stole them from my 2014 NaNo story but, with the others, all I really know is where they're going development-wise. Usually, I make character sheets, but I sometimes find it better to write the first draft and then make the character sheets. I get to know my characters best by writing them, after all.

Do you plan to edit or query, and what’s your plan of attack?

I'm first-drafting. I'm going to flesh out my plans as I write. When it comes to high fantasy, this works really well for me because the world grows with the story and the characters.

Toni Morrison once said, “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”  What are the books that you want to see more of, and what “holes” do you think need filling in the literary world?

I'd like to see more parody. Sometimes I think the world's gotten a little too serious. Everyone needs to laugh every once in a while.

What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?

A decent first draft, preferably finished and maybe even a little edited. 



What are you writing at the moment? Link me to your Beautiful People Posts!