Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Five Tudor Women Whose Stories Should Be Told

Earlier today...
  
I've kind of been neglecting my blog...

(No kind of about it, Princess.)

 Well I'll throw a Top Ten Tuesday post together and then, when Tuesday comes around, I'll -

(*Taps calendar*)

 Ah.
http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html
 
Hence why today's Top Ten Tuesday post is going up so late in the day. Thank you to the wonderful people at The Broke And The Bookish for hosting this blog-saving link-up.

Today, I'm going to talk about the Tudor women who I would like to see as the stars of historical fiction novels. 

(Oh lord, Tudor women. Can you tell she's British yet? And, more to the point, don't people write about them a lot. Compared to women from other times, I mean.)

Yeah, but my personal reading life is tragically devoid of books about them. Incidentally, if you can think of any, please drop the titles in the comments.


1. Anne Boleyn

It's no secret that Anne Boleyn is my favourite historical figure. For those of you who are unfamiliar with British history, Anne Boleyn was the second wife of the second Tudor monarch, Henry VIII, and the mother of the final Tudor monarch, Elizabeth I. She was Queen for around 1000 days before Henry had her executed on tenuous evidence, some of which can be disproved to this day (as shown in Alison Weir's The Lady In The Tower).

2. Catherine Howard

Henry VIII's fifth bride was nineteen when she married him. He was in his fifties. Like her cousin, Anne Boleyn, she was executed for adultery.

(Unlike Anne Boleyn, we're pretty sure she did it. Honestly. If you're going to cheat on the most powerful man in England, the one thing you shouldn't do is get caught.)

 Yes, Ivy. I'm sure that, as a young Tudor woman, living in a gossipy court, that would've been really easy.

(Well, you know what The Pierces said - "Two can keep a secret if one of them is -")

That's right, Ivy. Cover up one crime by committing another. That'll work perfectly. Honestly, I don't know how you have the nerve to criticise Catherine. You wouldn't even have made it to nineteen in the Tudor court.

Catherine's story is a textbook tragedy. Why has no one written it yet?

3. Lady Jane Grey

Through the manipulations of her father, Lady Jane Grey was the de facto queen of England for one week between the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I. 
And, yes. When Mary took power, she had her executed. It runs in the family.

4. Mary I

From what I know about Mary (and I don't know much - school history lessons tend to focus on Henry VIII and Elizabeth I), her marriage with Phillip II of Spain was an amazing love story. A sad one, but still. Of course, it isn't really over until the Spanish Armada, which happened after Mary was dead. Still, the story could be split into two parts, or be a duology, with one focusing on Mary and the other on Elizabeth.
 
5. Elizabeth I

(Ah, the first British Queen.)

We literally just finished talking about Mary I. And what about Matilda?
(The first competent British Queen.)

That's not entirely fair but, whatever, we're not here to debate the British monarchy. Lots of people have written about Elizabeth I, but very few have written about her life before she was queen. What about her childhood, or the time she spent in the Tower of London when her sister, Mary I, was on the throne?

Link me to your Top Ten Tuesday posts.