Tuesday, 22 March 2016

Five books I haven't talked about in a couple of aeons (give or take)

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html
 
So many books, so little time. Last year alone, I read 101 so it's not really surprising that one or two slip under the radar when I'm gabbling on. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and the Bookish and, today, it allows me to wade back into my past and talk your ears off about the stories I forget to love.

1. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

Not the Heroes of Olympus series. The Percy Jackson series. The first one. Back when Grover was still a main character. Back when we didn't know what was really making Nico stay away. Back before there was a Roman camp at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love Heroes of Olympus, but we never seem to talk about Percy Jackson as just Percy Jackson anymore.

2. +Anima by Natsumi Mukai

This is possibly the best manga series I've ever read.

(And she's read over 300 manga books, so that's really saying something.)

  Over the course of a month, I got the entire series out of the library. It was the type of series where, if you woke up at 4am, you wouldn't even try to go back to sleep. You'd get up and grab the next volume.

3. The 13 Treasures Trilogy by Michelle Harrison
  
I always seem to call this the 13 Secrets Trilogy, but maybe that's because the last book was the best. 
It's about fairies, secrets, and missing brothers but, honestly, when I first read it at fourteen, all I was bothered about was whether Rowan and Sparrow were getting together. Also, Tanya and Fabian. 

I had strange priorities at fourteen. 

4. Heart-Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne

I picked this up in the library, sat down and devoured it in one afternoon. Apparently, I have spoken about it on here before, but I don't mention it anywhere near as much as I should. Probably because, every time I think about it, I find myself lying awake at night and wondering what actually happened. 
It's one of those books that leaves a crucial question forever unanswered.

5. The Burn Mark Duology by Laura Powell

I love witches. I love books set in England. I love urban fantasy. So, naturally, I love Burn Mark. 

The best thing about this series though, is that witches are common knowledge. Most urban fantasy goes for the hidden in plain sight approach, but Burn Mark has laws and registration and ways to suppress the fey.


Have you read any of these? What did you think? And don't forget to link me to your Top Ten Tuesday posts.