Tuesday, 15 March 2016

Retellings and Rebirth - Ten Books on my Spring TBR

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html
It's that time of the week again. As always, Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by the awesome people at The Broke and the Bookish

It's spring, season of baby lambs, chocolate eggs, and hatching chicks. It's the time when the circle of life comes full circle and starts again once more. Seems like the perfect time for a retelling or ten.

(And I thought we were just reading retellings because you desperately needed to do some research before Camp.)

What? No! It's a seasonal thing, I swear.

1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

 If I read none of the others, I have to read this one. It takes the story of Cinderella and drops it into futuristic Beijing.

(You're probably the last person on the internet to read it. Why are you giving them a synopsis?)

I honestly have no idea.

2. Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen

(Polite reminder that you only gave Scarlet two stars.)

Only because the romance annoyed me. I still like what this series has done with the Robin Hood folklore.
 
3. Magi Volume Volume 15 by Shinobu Ohtaka
 
This Arabian Nights themed Shonen manga takes characters like Aladinn, Alibaba and Sinbad and drops them into a fantasy world of epic proportions.
 
4. The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

 It's not uncommon for retellings to be from underappreciated points of view, in the case of Mists of Avalon, it's the women of Arthurian mythology.

5. Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead

 Yet another man takes up the mantle of Robin Hood in Stephen R. Lawhead's novel Hood. According to the blurb, it involves Celtic Mythology. More to the point, it has a awesome cover.

 6. Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves by Alexandre Dumas

 I'm interested in this one partly because it's older than everything else on this list, and partly because it's French. Robin Hood is English folklore. I want to see it from the perspective of someone a little further away than me.

7. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

 This one's been all over my Goodreads recently. It's a retelling of Arabian Nights, like Magi, but in novel form. It also seems to be more of a romance than a fantasy.

8. Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate

 Inspired by the story of Genesis, Eve and Adam is about a girl creating the perfect boy.

(Or trying to.)

 Yeah, well, nobody's perfect.

9. Shadow Over Avalon by C.N. Lesley
 (Be honest. You only want to read this because it has the word 'shadow' in the title.)

Lies! Lies and slander! 

Seriously though, science fiction and fantasy retellings always sound interesting to me.

10. The Girl With The Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson

I'm not sure if this is a retelling exactly, but a lot of the reviews say that it incorporates Chinese folklore and it sounds AWESOME, so onto the list it goes.





(I...I don't believe it. That's the end? That's exactly ten. Exactly. No hidden extras, no doubling up. Rain, you've finally learnt how to count!)

I've never felt more ashamed.

Recommend me some more retellings! The more old stories incorporated into them, the better.