Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Seven authors every British girl should read growing up

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html
Top Ten Tuesday is here again and, despite wanting to do books for mythology geeks, I think I've mentioned all of my favourite mythology-based stories once or twice before.

(In every other post, more like.)

When I go into book shops, I can't help but notice that a lot of books are imported from America with best-seller stickers already adorning their front covers. These books aren't bad. In fact, a lot of them, are rather good. 

(That's why they call it a 'best seller', genius.)

That said, a lot of my childhood favourites were written by British writers. I thought I'd take this prompt as an excuse to dive back into my childhood. 

(Since when do you ever need an excuse?)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72193.Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher_s_Stone1. J.K. Rowling

 I know she's a bit of an obvious one, but J.K. Rowling had to be first on the list. Harry Potter might be her only kids series, but there's no doubt it's going to be a classic. If you're a fellow nineties kid, no matter which country you were born in, chances are you grew up with Harry Potter whether you read it or not. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/862894.The_Twins_at_St_Clare_s 2. Enid Blyton

I've picked The Twins at St. Clare's for the image because it's the first Enid Blyton book I ever read but, honestly, she's written something for everyone. St. Clare's, Malory Towers, and The Naughtiest Girl are all boarding school series. The Faraway Tree is a whimsical series that reads like a fairytale. It's an utterly beautiful read. The Famous Five and The Secret Seven are both adventure series. She's written more, of course, but the above are the three series I'm familiar with, combined with three of her more famous ones.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/352262.How_to_Train_Your_Dragon?from_search=true&search_version=service3. Cressida Cowell

The How To Train Your Dragon books are home to one of my all-time favourite heroines. No, not Astrid, or Ruffnut, or Heather. Camicazi. 

This is one of those rare series where the films are totally different from the books and still manage to be awesome. That said, you're missing out if you never read the books. In my opinion, Hiccup, Fishlegs and Camicazi are a trio on the same level as Harry, Ron and Hermione. Yes, it's technically a boys series, but why should that put you off? It has dragons!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/955589.Sensational_Spylet?from_new_nav=true&ac=1&from_search=true4. Jill Marshall

Jill Marshall wrote a kids spy series that got more and more sci-fi as it went on and culminated in an ending so clever that I couldn't understand it until I re-read the final book when I was sixteen. As I started reading this at around the same time as How To Train Your Dragon, I always view them as counterparts (they're really not). It therefore seems fitting that Jane Blonde is home to one of my favourite heroes - Alfie Halliday.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6110731-13-treasures5. Michelle Harrison

I loved fairy books as a kid, so a fairy book was going on this list no matter what. Michelle Harrison wrote The 13 Treasures, a trilogy centred around a charm bracelet. It had a twisty plot, interesting characters, and just a smidge of romance, perfect for girls who are just moving out of the love-is-gross stage and into the okay-that's-sort-of-cute stage.

(I can literally hear you screaming Sparrow and Rowan right now.)

...It was one of the first couples I was ever totally behind, okay?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1773713.Frankie_Peaches_Me6. Karen McCombie 

Karen McCombie writes about teenage girls. My school library stocked tonnes of Ally's World books, and I read several of them. Out of order, of course. But my favourite of her books by far is the Stella Etc. series. Stella moves from London to a seaside town, and the series follows her as she settles in, makes new friends, and tries to keep the old ones. I read all of these (out of order - no sense breaking tradition) and adored them. I think friend trouble is something everyone can relate to at some point in their lives.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39988.Matilda7. Roald Dahl

Some of Roald Dahl's better known novels include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Twits, The Witches, The BFG, Fantastic Mr Fox, James and the Giant Peach, Danny Champion of the World... Actually, I'm not sure Roald Dahl has any lesser known novels.



 

Can you think of any more British authors who wrote awesome books? This week, the Top Ten Tuesday category is really diverse, so make sure you hop over to The Broke and the Bookish to see what everyone else is talking about, and don't forget to link me to yours.