Thursday, 28 April 2016

The Book That Chose My Career Path For Me - The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21416690-the-invisible-library
5/5

The Invisible Library is the ultimate wish fulfillment fantasy. The heroine is a bibliophile. 

(Everyone is a bibliophile.)

She's a librarian who travels to alternate dimensions to um, we'll say obtain, unique works of fiction so that they can be preserved by the Invisible Library.

I don't remember the last time I read a fantasy novel that swallowed me so completely. Irene is a pragmatic, intelligent heroine who uses a type of magic known as the language that only librarians can use. Anyone who has ever studied either a foreign language or linguistics will no doubt appreciate the importance of syntax and grammar, and the obsession that some of the characters have with it. Observe -


"'Split infinitive,' Bradamant spat." - The Invisible Library, page 317, because the rules of the English language are apparently the biggest concern they have right now.
Irene is joined by her apprentice, Kai, who I now feel bad for um, we'll call it sacrificing, because he's absolutely hilarious. I mean, he's a powerful, mysterious creature with plenty of book and street smarts, but he also shows an incredible lack of perception and has a tendency towards the more dramatic aspects of fighting. He's also, as Irene wastes no time in informing us, impossibly good looking. Immediately afterwards, she reminds us that this is a professional relationship and that it shall remain completely professional because she is a professional person.

So, of course, that's not going to go anywhere.

Irene and Kai enter a somewhat steampunk version of London to find the book they've been assigned to collect. Throughout their adventure, they deal with vampires, werewolves, dragons, the fae, secret societies, a great detective...and all of those pale in comparison to the other librarians. And they do all of this for a book. It's epic.

There's a possibility that I went out and bought the second one before I'd even finished the first one.

(Possibility!? May I remind you that I was there.)

And I can't wait, course willing, to start it. See you all sooner rather than later, when we enter The Masked City.

Have you read this book? Please say you have, I need somewhat to scream about it with me. If you haven't, you're going to read it now, aren't you? Please say yes.