Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Ten Books That I Picked Up On A Whim

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html

This week, the guys at the Broke and the Bookish have picked the perfect topic for me. Picking books up based on pretty much nothing is my modus operani.

1. Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades by Rick Riordan 

This was the first Percy Jackson book I ever read, and I didn't even pick it up on purpose. It just so happened to be released as a 2-in-1 World Book Day Book. I bought it for the Horrible Histories book on the other side and, a couple of weeks later, I found myself with nothing to read. So I started the Sword of Hades. I was hooked from the first page. Best accidental book purchase ever. 

2. Runemarks by Joanne Harris

When I bought this, I thought it was about a pair of childhood friends. 
But it wasn't.
I did not think that it was an epic mythological adventure with an awesome heroine and the greatest interpretation of Loki ever concieved. 
But it was.

3. Black Cat volume 18 by Kentaro Yabuki

Yes, it's the third to last volume in the series. But it was the one that was on the library display and, even though I didn't understand half of what was going on, I loved it enough to read the entire series.


4. Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

I didn't enjoy this one, but I was very proud of myself when I first whipped it off the library shelf and discovered that it had a unique voice, and it drew on Robin Hood folklore. 

5. John Dies At The End by David Wong


"STOP.
You should not have touched this book with your bare hands.
NO, don’t put it down. It’s too late.
They’re watching you."

(Proof that blurbs really do sell books.)

6. The Double-Edged Sword by Sarah Silverwood

Not a bad fantasy for something I picked up on a whim. Likeable characters, original worldbuilding and plot...

(Shame that it's impossible to find the sequel, 'ey?)

 7. The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

I picked this up simply because it has the word 'library' in the title.

(Judge her.)

Best. Impulse. Book. Buy. Ever.
 

8. Daylight Saving by Edward Hogan

I still haven't gotten around to reading this one...
9. Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne 
Never read the first page of a library book because, chances are, in four hours time, you'll be sat there reading the last page.
 

10. Unbreakable by Kami Garcia

It took me two attempts to get through this novel but, my God, was it worth it for the sequel.

Do you pick a lot of books up on a whim? Or do you prefer to have read at least a couple of reviews first?