Thursday, 28 July 2016

The Seven Heavenly Virtues of Reading

Charity

Lending good books to friends or, at the very least, recommending them.
 
(Recommending bad books to enemies also counts.)

Chastity

Dedicating yourself to one book at a time, and refusing to so much as touch another until it reaches the end of its natural life-span (AKA for as long as it takes you to read it).


(When do you ever do this?)

Did I say that I did this? Did I? Did I? Where did I say that I did this? Can you point it out to me? Huh? Didn't think so. I'll see you in court, malicious voice that lives in my head.

(Objection! You don't have a case.)

How can you even say that when you don't know how much I'm willing to pay for a lawyer?

Diligence

Seeing a book through to the end in one sitting.

https://giphy.com/gifs/season-17-the-simpsons-17x2-3orifetUYz1GoqDgys

Humility

Never admitting how many books you can read in a weekend.

(Unless you want to make the peasants jealous.)

Thank you Ivy for demonstrating exactly what humility isn't.


(You're welcome.)


Kindness

Keeping spoilers to yourself. Especially those of the heart-breaking variety.

Temperance 

Refraining from attacking authors online just because they took THEIR work in a direction that you didn't like. Killing characters can be necessary, breaking the fellowship can advance the plot, and nobody ever sets out to jump the shark. Remember that writers are people too. Have some manners. Show some empathy. 

Patience

Waiting for the next book in the series to be released.

https://giphy.com/gifs/1963-the-great-escape-a-streetcar-named-marge-mF2x7t7sCvwhW



How many of these virtues do you have? Would you have defined any of them differently?