Friday, 28 October 2016

Beautiful Books - All about My NaNo Novel!

November is less than a week away, so naturally I've decided to change my NaNo project.

(I'd say I was disappointed, but I saw it coming. You always change your project less than a week before November. Usually on a whim.)

I resent that last part. 

Today, we're linking up with Cait and Sky to talk about this year's totally planned, not at all last minute, NaNo.

http://paperfury.com/beautiful-books-2016/

What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?

I like Gothic novels (you may have noticed), and I wanted to play around with some of the tropes. I came up with the idea over the summer, so I haven't had it all that long. 

Describe what your novel is about.

A grieving girl and her friend form an uneasy alliance with a pair of reapers to deal with a threat deep inside her new home.

What is your book's asthetic?

Things that go bump in the night. That feeling when you drop onto your bed like you've been levitating. Dreams that make you shoot up in bed, covered in sweat. The shadowy figure in the corner of your room. 
  
Since it seems to help everyone else, I decided to make a Pinterest board for it. Click here to see it.  

Introduce us to each of your characters.

Edie and Lunette are the two main characters. Edie is a human girl who withdraws from her friends when her life falls apart, and Lunette is a reaper who is technically to blame for Edie's problem...and the Black Death.

Brodie is Edie's best friend. He's a bit of a shrinking violet, but he's incredibly brave and loyal.

Keir is the reaper from the territory next door. He's like a mischevious younger brother to Lunette.    

How do you prepare to write?

There is a very sensitive balance between planning and over-planning. If I over-plan, the story dies. For Into The Bridewell -

(Working title. As in, it needs some work.) 

- I've written out a brief overview of the plot, and a couple of very brief character notes. I still need to dig out my notes on how reaper society is organised. Luckily, I live close to a Supermarket, so I don't need to stockpile chocolate. I do need to get some hot chocolate in though.

What are you most looking forward to about this novel?

I have no idea how part three plays out. I know how they get there, I know who's going there, I know what they're doing, but I don't know how they're doing it. It's been ages since I've had a hole like that to fill as I go along.

List three things about your novels setting.

Creepy. Rundown. Ethereal.

What's your character's goal and who, or what, stands in the way?

Revenge. One of my heroes has already had it, and another desires it. There's a big creepy house standing in the way.

How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?

The first half of the story breaks Edie down and isolates her from everyone who cares about her. The second half builds her back up again stronger. At the moment, I'm thinking that maybe she's always been good at hiding her sadness and self-doubt, and realising that she doesn't have to hide them from her friends makes her stronger. 

What are your book's themes? How do you want the reader to feel when it's over?

Death. Loss. Grief. Revenge. It's a cheerful story. I'm not really sure how I want people to feel yet. It's a first draft, and I'm going in much blinder than usual. It's exciting!

Are you doing NaNo? Don't forget to link me to your Beautiful Books post!