Tuesday, 4 October 2016

The One Good Thing about That Book You Hate




Maybe you had to force your way through it for school, maybe you made a foolish bet with a friend, maybe you're just too stubborn for your own good, it doesn't matter, we all have that one book that we just can't stand.

(I have a library full of them.)

To be completely honest, I do too. The mere mention of them can send me into colourful, three-day rants.

(I know. I've heard many of them.)

Just take a moment to think about that book, okay? That one book that you hate above any other. 
...
It probably had an insufferable narrator.
...
Unbearable characters.
...
An awkward, broken plotline.
...
Okay, I'm going to stop you before that glower you're pointing at the screen incinerates my blog. Now I want you to think about a book that you didn't hate, but you didn't love either. 
...
...
...
You can't remember anything about it, can you?

This, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, dragons and deities, is the single saving grace of your most hated books. You might not have anything nice to say about them, but you're still passionate about them. The moment someone mentions them, you're jabbering a mile a minute, unapologetically angry at a few sheets of printed paper. An average book is never going to be anything more than a grey smudge at the back of your brain, blurred together with all the rest, but a book you hate, a book you hate is a fire raging through your mind. 

Many people fear flamers, criticism is one of those things that makes the best of us feel insecure, but I'd rather someone hated my work than felt apathetic about it. At least then the words I've written, or the lines I've drawn, or the performance I've given has made them feel something.

Rant about that book you hate! Go on, you know you want to.