Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Ten Writers I Read for the First Time in 2016

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html

Here's something we haven't taken part in in a while! Top Ten Tuesday, with The Broke and the Bookish. This week, the topic is 'Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read For The First Time In 2016.'

1. Stephen King

This year, I finally read a novel by the king of horror. You would think, given the fact that I like the genre, I would've gotten here sooner.

(No, Honey, we're all used to your procrastinating ways by now.)

My review for Misery can be found here.

2. Genevieve Cogman

THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE BOOK SERIES!

(WE KNOW!)

My review for The Invisible Library can be found here.

3. Margaret Atwood
 
Sometimes, coursebooks are actually enjoyable. 

My review for The Penelopiad can be found here

4. Dawn Kurtagich

Next time I'm looking for suspense and eternally unanswerable questions that will leave be obsessed with finding answers that I don't really want, this is the writer I'll go for.

My review for The Dead House can be found here.

5. Lewis Carroll

No, I didn't read Alice in Wonderland as a child. I have to be honest, it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

(Or any.)

But I think that's the point?
6. Thomas Hardy

This guy needed an editor.

(No. He needed an army of editors.)

Agreed.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present the other end of the coursebook spectrum from The Penelopiad. The oh, God, why side.

7. H.P. Lovecraft

It was...exposition. For 182 pages. Seriously, I was expecting a bone-chilling tale of terror. Instead, I got world-building notes. The narrator was either incredibly perceptive, or he had a copy of the author's notes.
8. Alex Bell

I read this in a day. It was plot-driven, with plenty of suspense to keep you turning the pages. For added creepiness, the ballad and the dolls are real.
My review for Frozen Charlotte can be found here.

9. Jonathan Swift

Jonathan Swift was a satirist. If you're going to read A Modest Proposal, make sure you go in blind. It won't be anywhere near as brilliant if you know what's coming.

10. V.E. Schwab

I love a good portal fantasy, and this is one with a twist.
My review for A Darker Shade of Magic can be found here.

 Which writers have you picked up for the first time this year? Don't forget to link me to your TTT posts!