Thursday, 5 January 2017

5 Things I learnt About Blogging in 2016


Happy new year, everyone! Welcome to 2017! 

I thought I'd use my first post of the year to look back at last year. It was my first full year of blogging and, look, I'm still here! 

(Success!) 

Why thank you, Ivy, and may I say how unusually positive you're being today. New year's resolution, maybe?

(Welcome to 2017, year of doubt and uncertainty...)

...And there she is.  

So, without further ado, here are five things I learnt about blogging in 2016.

1. You Don't Have to Stick to Your Schedule

Mainly because you can't. Sometimes, life gets in the way, and life has to come first. It's good to aim for a certain number of posts a week, or to plan to post on specific days, but there's no need to beat yourself up over failing. At the end of the day, we're blogging for us. If posting three times a week isn't possible this month, because of school, work, family, or even just blogger burnout, then accept that. Don't worry about it.

(Even if your numbers start to fall, commenting around will get them back up in no time.)

2. Announce Things Early

If you're running a feature or an event - for example, I ran Norse Mythology Week last January - announce it early. Three days just isn't enough. If you want to drum up a decent amount of interest, you're going to need at least a week, maybe longer.

(She says this, but I'm not convinced she's actually learnt it.)

For the record, if you want to take part in our 2017 Reading Challenge, Ivyclad Bingo, you can sign up at any time. (Hint. Hint.)

3. Contact Me Pages Exist for a Reason

If your primary source of contact with your readers is Goodreads, it might be a good idea to actually check your messages from time to time

https://giphy.com/gifs/phoenix-wright-tTZY0n0iWXD5C
Source
 
4. If a Post is Long, Split it into Two

Or, in the case of my A Brief Guide to Gothic Tropes trilogy, three. More posts on the same topic keeps blogger burnout at bay, and a good series keeps readers coming back. 

5. You're Never Going to Finish All Those Drafts

And you're never going to delete them either.

What did you learn about blogging in 2016?