Sunday, 29 January 2017

And Now For Something Completely Different (Instructions For Flight by Kate I. Foley)

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1481833801l/33393843.jpg4/5

(Full disclosure: I recieved a free copy of Instructions for Flight in return for an honest review.)

Today's review is a little different. Instructions For Flight is not a novel or a film, it's a poetry anthology. 

There's a bit of everything in here. Poems that are less than five lines long. Poems that tackle complex social issues. Poems that deal with self-confidence. To cover all of it in this review would be to write the equivilant of a novella, so instead I'm just going to focus on a couple of my favourites.

I enjoyed To Beautiful Disasters because of the pacing. The short, snappy lines are peppered with commas, forcing you to pause.

I liked the way that Stage Fright recreated that feeling of trepidation. The line length varies, and enjambment is used to allow the narrator to babble on for three lines at a time at points as they attempt to calm their shredded nerves. At other points, there are frequent full stops. Commas. Question marks. As they. Control. Their breathing. 

The eponymous poem, Instructions For Flight, is the longest in the anthology. It seems to be about stepping into the future. There's a lot of beautiful imagery in here, the 'milky way ice cream' in stanza one, that perfectly captures a child's wonder. I loved the fear in stanza four, but I also enjoyed the success in stanza six. Like flying, this poem soars between the highs and lows of life.

Overall, I really enjoyed the poetry in this anthology. I like dramatic metaphors, beautiful imagery, and good pacing, and there was plenty of all three.  

Instructions For Flight will be available to purchase from the 31st of January. In the meantime, you can find the author's blog here.

Have you read any poetry recently?