Tuesday, 7 February 2017

4 Books I Wish Had Less Romance in Them

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html

I am not a romance person. I do like a well-written romantic sub-plot, but I could not sit through 400 pages of a character sitting on their bed and staring at the phone. The following ten books were a little heavy on the romance sub-plot and a little light on the actual plot for my liking.

1. Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley

What I was expecting: a darkly humourous, middle grade affair in which a now dead, unpopular girl realises that popularity is not the be all and end all. 

What I got: Charlotte stalking her love interest. For 300 pages. Said love interest is already dating one girl. Oh, and when I said stalking, I wasn't exaggerating. Charlotte is the creepiest character with a crush I've ever read.

2. Unbreakable by Kami Garcia

I get the feeling that the writer was trying to get all of the romance out of the way within the first book of the series, because the sequel was much less in your face with it, but I did not enjoy the love triangle in Unbreakable. There are other, more interesting story elements that pit the Lockhart twins against each other.


3. Runelight by Joanne Harris

Of the four books on this list, this is definitely the best. I just did not like the romance between Maggie and Adam. At all. In the space of a week, they went from being complete strangers to getting married. I mean, don't get me wrong, I could see why Maggie was attracted to Adam, and I could also see why she'd be willing to move so fast. There was nothing wrong with the actual writing. It wasn't an instalove romance with no rhyme or reason. I just personally disliked Maggie's plotline, and that plotline happened to be a romance one.
4. Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Like Unbreakable, this book would've been a lot better without the love triangle. Personally, I found Scarlet's cute, almost sisterly relationship with Much far more interesting than her relationships with Robin and John.

 What's the best romantic sub-plot you've ever read? 
Don't forget to link me to your TTT!