Tuesday, 6 June 2017

I Stole a Tag: "It's a Musical!"

 (Spoiler Warnings for Hamilton and Heathers.)



I stole this shamelessly from Kate @ The Magic Violinist

(You did not steal it. She literally said you could use it. In which country's court of law would that be classed as stealing?)

Go away, Ivy.

I know this is a book blog, but, let's be honest, we all have interests outside of books, and I don't always feel like I talk about them enough. Today, I'm going to talk about musicals, because showtunes are glorious.

1. "I Dreamed a Dream" - Your Dream Role

Okay, well, first of all, my singing is comparable to the sound of a cat dying, and, second, YOU WANT ME TO PICK JUST ONE?!?

I'd love to play Elphaba from Wicked, or Liesel from The Sound of Music, or Veronica Sawyer, or Heather Chandler, or basically anyone from Heathers.

(It says role. Singular.)

Fine... Elphaba. Happy?

2. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" - Your Favourite Musical, Stage Actor, and Musical to Film Adaption.

Hmm...I'm torn for favourite musical. Maybe Wicked? I'm not particuarly fussed about who's acting (is that bad?). I'm also going to cheat on favourite musical to film adaption and switch it round. My favourite film to musical adaption is DEFINITELY Heathers. That's indisputable. 

3. "Hard to Be a Bard" - Your Favourite Lyricist 

Lin-Manuel Miranda. Have you heard the Hamilton soundtrack? 

4. "Think of Me" - a Song that Describes You/Fits You Perfectly

Either 'Beautiful' from Heathers, or 'Satisfied' from Hamilton.  

'Beautiful' because I relate to Veronica's level of teenage angst on a spiritual level, and also to the way she veers back and forth between "we were kind before, we can be kind once more, we can be beautiful" and "fight the urge to strike a match and set this dump ablaze". From hopeful to there's nothing we can do but burn it down in 0.3 seconds.

'Satisfied' because...well, "I will never be satisfied". I am the queen of the perfectionists.

5. "Those Were the Good Old Days" - the First Musical You Were Exposed to

(Exposed? Sounds dangerous. What are we on about here? A deadly disease? A poison?)

The most dangerous weapon of all. *Shudders* Musical theatre.

The first musical I watched and fell in love with was almost definitely Annie. I used to watch it every Christmas when I was small. They don't put it on anymore though.

6. "Our Tonight" - Musicals You've Seen Live
  1. Annie 
  2. Fame
  3. High School Musical 
  4. High School Musical 2
  5. The Lion King
  6. Wicked 
7. "Sincerely Me" - Your Favourite Musical Protagonist

Um... If I have to choose just one -

(You do.)

- Then Veronica Sawyer from Heathers. I think they went out of the way when they adapted the film to make her relatable. I also think they improved on the ambiguity of whether she was a willing accomplice of not, because in the film, she totally knew what she was doing (she knew that was the poison cup, she touched the lid!). I'm also less inclined to yell, "WHY WOULD SHE DATE HIM," since they toned down J.D.'s introduction to simply getting in a fight. If you don't know what he does in the film, I won't spoil it for you, but...


https://giphy.com/gifs/filmeditor-movie-heathers-3owyuqaABay2OXrlvi

8. "Dancing Through Life" - a Musical with Great Choreography

...Really straining to remember here. I'm going to go with The Lion King.

9. "The Story of Tonight" - the Musical Soundtrack You Have On Repeat Right Now

You caught me. I'm literally listening to the Heathers soundtrack as we speak.   

10. "What You Own" - Autographs You Have From Broadway Actors

I've never been to Broadway. I have seen a couple of West End shows, but I have no autographs. They're not something I'm really fussed about to be honest.

11. "On My Own" - a Song You Sing In the Shower

Whatever's in my head at the time, if I sing in the shower at all. 

12. "The Mob Song" - a Song You Love to Sing with Friends

https://giphy.com/gifs/hamilton-alexander-musical-kbGh6QyhWm6Q0

 If a Hamilton song comes on, we're probably singing.

13. "It Only Takes a Taste" - a Musical You Fell in Love with from the First Song You Heard

I wasn't aware that it was from a musical at the time, but I fell in love with 'Waving Through a Window' from Dear Evan Hansen the very first time I heard it.

14. "Right Hand Man" - Your Favourite Supporting Musical Character 

Hmm... I'm going to go with Hamilton's Maria Reynolds because I love Say No to This. Also, how is she played by the same actress who plays Peggy?! The two voices are totally different! I am in awe!

15. "Words Fail" - Lyrics You Misheard

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to pick up on Hercules Mulligan being a tailor's apprentice in Hamilton. I heard it as "Attila's apprentice". I had no idea what that was supposed to mean. Every time I was listening to 'My Shot', I was like, "As in...Attila the...Hun? Is this some sort of American idiom?"

16. "Turn it Off" - Your Least Favourite Musical

Uh. Grease. I turned it off before they got to prom and put on Tom and Jerry instead. The songs are fine. I just found the film itself boring.

17. "It Takes Two" - Your Favourite Onstage Couple

Elphaba and Fiyero. Mainly because I love the dynamic of the Elphaba - Fiyero - Glinda love triangle. Also, I love the fact that when awkward, introverted Elphaba, who's considered unattractive by Oz standards gets the guy over beautiful, popular Glinda, Glinda gets a reprise of 'I'm Not that Girl', which is originally Elphaba's song. They might be very different women, but insecurity is universal. Also, Fiyero is a lot smarter than he lets on - "Water will melt her? People are so empty-headed they'll believe anything."

18. "Never Ever Getting Rid of Me" - a Song that Always Gets Stuck in Your Head

Depends on the day, but 'Candy Store' from Heathers gets stuck in there an awful lot. It's a good job I love it.

19. "One Song Glory" - Your Favourite Powerful Solo Song

https://giphy.com/gifs/heathers-the-musical-yay-an-excuse-to-post-stuff-bU6ZbM7LXGWwo

 'Freeze Your Brain' from Heathers. I just love the lyrics:

"Fight pain with more pain, 
Forget who you are, unburden your load, 
Forget in six weeks you'll be back on the road, 
When the voice in your head says you're better off dead, don't open a vein,
Just freeze you brain..."

I absolutely adore 'Wait For It' from Hamilton too. Oh, and special mention to 'I Have Confidence' from The Sound of Music, because Maria stops in the middle of singing about how confident she is to say 'Oh help'. I mean, what is the truth, Maria?
  
20. "Left Behind" - a Character Death You're Still Not Over

Philip Hamilton was too young to die. John Laurens didn't even get to die on the soundtrack. 

(You're spoiling it.)

Is it even possible to spoil a historical musical? I mean, we all know how it ends, right? Burr -

(STOP.)

21. "Blow Us All Away" - a Live Performance from an Actor that Blew You Away

I think we can all agree that 'Defying Gravity' is the show-stopper to end all show-stoppers.


This is a long, glorious tag, and more people should steal it. Unfortunately, the only blogger I know definitely likes musicals is the one that I stole it from, so if you like musicals and you're reading this, consider yourself tagged! 

What's your favourite musical?