Tuesday, 11 July 2017

What the Hell Does My Rating System Even Mean?


(You know what I've always wondered?)

How it feels to have a working sense of empathy?

(What fresh hell is your rating system? Do you even have a system?)

Of course I have a system.

(A system you can explain? One that will actually make sense to other people?)

...I said it was a system. I made no claim to logic, common sense, or it working in this specific dimension.

One Star

Every word was like rubbing salt into my eyes whilst walking over flaming coals and swallowing broken glass. Honestly, it was physical torture just forcing my eyes down the page. To put into perspective how often this is my reaction to a book, I've only given out five one star ratings since I joined Goodreads.

If I finished this book, chances are I had to read it for something.

Two Stars

This is where it gets tricky. You see, I'm not really sure what makes me think, "This is getting two stars." It can mean that I was disappointed, that something ruined the story for me (and, when I say 'something', I usually mean the romance), or even just that I was scared of what might happen if I gave this story one star. A lot of them were good books, they just didn't mesh with me.

For most of my two star ratings, I'd say I was disappointed. 

Three Stars

I didn't love it, or at least not all of it, but I didn't hate it either. A lot of my three star ratings are stories that I felt improved. Maybe I was bored, but then the climax hit and I couldn't tear my eyes away from the page. 

Three stars means it was enjoyable. It hasn't changed my life, and I might forget about it, but I'm glad I read it.

Four Stars

I liked it. I liked it a lot. Most of my ratings are four stars, and I'm not really sure what keeps them from being five. Maybe there were one or two elements that bugged me, or maybe I felt that it was missing something. Sometimes, it's because it dragged in one or two places, or because I felt like it was too long for what it was. Four star reads just...feel like four star reads to me. I'm sorry, I can't explain it.

Five Stars

This book is absolutely flawless. 

Okay, so it's almost definitely not, but I loved it. If I read a book in a day (and it wasn't a coursebook), chances are it's a five from me. Other times, it's the characters (it's always the characters), the voice, the writing, the plot... It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to have made me happy. 

Can you explain your rating system? 

Goodreads | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Tumblr